Friday, February 27, 2009

When It Makes Sense, It Won't Fly in D.C.

A Web site called Business Insider offers up a thoughtful analysis called "Our Health Care Wish List."

Now, mind you, probably none of the changes suggested in the article will ever be implemented, let alone even seriously discussed in Congress or the White House, but there are some good ideas in the piece.

Let me focus on a couple:

One is to let pharmacists write prescriptions, as is done in Europe (in Mexico, you just walk up to the pharmacy and buy what you want, I hear). What a time- and cost-saving idea. When I had a sore throat last year and knew I needed antibiotics, I had to trudge to the doctor's anyway and let her ring up a $200 office visit. What a waste of time and money. In Europe, I could've gone to the pharmacy and just asked for amoxicillin.

The other proposal is to create mini-doctors, which the article defines as "someone with minimal training," to examine sore throats and infections and treat them at $20 a pop. (Why not just train the pharmacists to do these basic functions?) I've always felt that most doctors' visits could just as easily be handled by nurse practitioners, but as I reconsider the situation, creating a new category like a corpsman in the Navy would be perfect.

I guess I should mention one other proposal--get rid of insurance entirely for the routine stuff and just use insurance for the big-ticket items that require specialized procedures and/or hospital stays--catastrophic insurance, in other words.

Personally, I would have no problem paying for the routine stuff if I could get a catastrophic policy for the price of a small car a month, say a couple of c-bills or so. Of course, bringing down the cost of medicine would help immensely too, but already WalMart and Target have huge lists of drugs they'll sell you for $4 a month or $10 for 90 days. If you can stick to the list, it's cheaper than using your insurance and its co-pay.

But, as I said, none of this will matter once the politicians debate health care reform. Then it will be all about creating government bureaucracies and so-called initiatives. And no one will take on the American Medical Association, so look for high-cost, physician-based insurance to reign from cradle to grave (except for the politicians who will feed off the taxpayers' largesse for free).

When government reforms something, we all end up paying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing makes sense. Most people live like sheep. They want someone to take care of them, protect them and feed them. Thats why government is so messed up and never will get any better.

I know some countries have great benefits but usually for every benefit there is some fault. I've seen foreigners talk up their country to Americans but when push comes to shove the reality their government is no better than ours.

I guess asking for the world to be perfect would be asking to much. I guess wishful thinking will have to remain.

Anonymous said...

I think it's time to get rid of all the rats in DC and get some real people in there. Problem is who's to determine who the right people are. Heck we just voted Obama into office...great pick there.