Thursday, May 14, 2009

Database Shows Scheduled California Layoffs

Amazing the things you can stumble upon. Today I was reading an article in the online edition of the San Jose Mercury-News when I noticed a sidebar link for a California Layoffs Database.

The database is aggregated from advance layoff notifications given under the WARN (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification) Act. My curiosity was to see if my company was on the list (it wasn't, confirming what I thought), but I was struck by some of companies that are planning huge layoffs.

Such as: the San Francisco Chronicle, which by the numbers listed looks almost as if it is going out of business; JPMorgan Chase, which appears to be gutting every banking branch in the state; USAA, my insurer, which is planning a grand total of two layoffs in Sacramento; and retailer Gottschalks, which is actually shutting down, I believe.

The site also incorporates a search function, so you can enter your company's name and location, or you can search by either company or city.

The site provides a type of morbid satisfaction where one can say to oneself, "There but for the grace of (fill in your religion's deity) go I," or if the other shoe is falling, "Uh, oh! What do I do now?"

No comments: