Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Our Future Clearly Visible Across the Pond

I'm not going to go into much detail; instead, I'll provide some quotations and hotlinks.

The situation: Labour Party-governed Great Britain, which isn't even actually a part of the European Union, only the European Common Market, is now abiding by EU labor laws in providing unemployment benefits for foreign nationals working the the country who get laid off. This has, as you can imagine, provoked quite a bit of criticism by the native born, who complain that a) first we print money to bail out the banks and b) now we get taxed to support people who don't even want to be citizens. I paraphrase, but it's something along those understandable lines.

Here's the blog posting (it is partisan since it belongs to the opposition British National Party) called "The Madness Continues."

And here's a fairly typical, though somewhat more restrained and sardonic, comment:

Funny that, because in the last recession I was told I was only entitled to the most basic support (about £29 per week) and nothing else because I had been working as 'self-employed'. Sure, I had paid my tax and National Insurance contributions for 9 years...but according to the the person I spoke to 'I had caused myself to be unemployed' by being self-employed in the first place and running out of work...it was my own fault! (and I'm sure nothing has changed)...so in other words, who's fault is it when you leave your own country and end up out of work in Britain? Of course...silly me...it's our fault...so we should cough up as usual...right??
I posted a comment too, saying in effect: "Thanks for previewing our future. We'll be there with you shortly. And bankrupt too."

Would Obama really makes us part of the European Union? Don't count it out, but what you can count on is that he will emulate EU labor policies as closely as possible, even "improve" on them.

People should listen more closely during our election campaigns. You get what you vote for.

No comments: